Marriage and Divorce Records

Amended Marriage License

A marriage license can be amended only to correct an error (i.e., a misspelled name, incorrect date of birth or social security number). Proof for the correction must be in the form of a birth certificate or valid U.S. driver’s license that has a gold star (RealID). Both parties on the license must apply together in person, even if they are now divorced. If one party on the license is now deceased, an original or certified copy of the death certificate must be presented. If the couple want to change a name on the license, a certified copy of a court order directing the Clerk to change the name on the marriage record must be presented. See the fee for this service here.

Duplicate Marriage License

A duplicate marriage license is issued when the original license has been lost, misplaced or damaged, and was not recorded with the Clerk. Both parties on the marriage license must come in together in person. Both parties must have a valid government issued photo ID. See the fee for this service here.

Partial Marriage License

A partial marriage license is issued when there is a hardship (i.e., one party to the marriage is sick and hospitalized, or in jail or prison).

  • If one party to the marriage is hospitalized, the Clerk will need a letter from the hospital (on their letterhead) stating the person’s name and that they are unable to come into the Clerk’s office due to their illness.
  • If one party to the marriage is in jail or prison, read this FAQ.

See the fee for this service here.

Can I purchase a commemorative marriage certificate?

Where can I view and obtain copies of marriage license records?

If your marriage was recorded in Hillsborough County, copies of marriage license records and indexes for Hillsborough County from 1846 forward are available for viewing and purchase at the Official Records Library, 419 Pierce Street, Room 140. Marriage license records from 1972 to present are viewable online. Go to Online Search of Official Records, and enter either spouse's name at the time of marriage (Record Type for this search is MAR). There is no charge to view a marriage document in person or online.

NEW 24/7 SERVICE! Electronically certified copies of marriage records are now available 24/7 using the Clerk's new eCertify for Official Records service.

Some historical marriage license records for Tampa and Hillsborough County are available for viewing online at the University of South Florida. You can also view historical marriage records for the entire state of Florida online at the State Office of Vital Statistics.

If the copy will be used for legal purposes, a certified copy is required. The charge for a certified copy is $3 ($1 per page and $2 to certify the document). You can request certified copies of marriage records by mail, by phone, in person and electronically 24/7 thru eCertify for Official Records.

By Mail:

Make checks or money orders payable to "Clerk of the Circuit Court". Provide both spouses’ names at the time of application (include the maiden name if applicable) and the date of marriage. Mail requests are processed within 4-6 business days. Mail requests to: Clerk of Court - Marriage, P.O. Box 3249, Tampa, FL  33601-3249


By Phone:

Copies may be requested by telephone at (813) 276-8100, with a credit card. An additional 3.5% fee is charged by the credit card processing vendor. Telephone orders are processed within 2 - 3 business days.


In Person:

Copies of marriage license records may be requested in person. Walk-in customers receive the document the same day. Payment can be made in person with cash, check, money order or credit card (additional 3.5% processing fee for credit card payments).