Marriage License Department

The Clerk of the Circuit Court acts as an agent for the State of Florida for issuing licenses per Florida Statute 741. The Marriage License Department is here to answer your questions concerning obtaining a marriage license in Hillsborough County. As a public service the Deputy Clerk may also perform ceremonies.

Marriage License FAQs

What are my options for obtaining customer service from the Clerk's office?

Mail:  P.O. Box 3249, Tampa, FL  33601-3249
Email:  Contact us
Phone:  (813) 276-8100, Ext. 4366.  See wait times.
In person:  Downtown Tampa, Plant City, Brandon, Ruskin (Southshore).  See wait times 

What is needed to receive a marriage license?

Both parties must provide proof of the following:

  • Age:  both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
  • A valid driver's license, State ID, or passport. 
  • U.S. citizens must provide their social security number.
  • Non-citizens may provide a social security number or an alien registration number issued by Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Complete an application form (provided on the internet or in the office).

  • Note on the application how and when the previous marriage of both parties ended, if applicable.

Nonrefundable marriage license fee of $86.00.

What methods of payment may I use?

The following methods are acceptable :  cash, money order, traveler's check, credit card, or personal check.

Name and current address must be imprinted on personal checks and a photo ID is required.

Do both parties have to be present to apply for a license?

Yes.  Both parties must sign the application form and take an oath to the truthfulness of the information provided.

Is a blood test required?

No.  Blood tests are not required in Florida.

Is there a waiting period for the issuance of a license?

There is a three-day waiting period, unless Florida residents present a certificate of completion of a premarital preparation course from a qualified registered course provider or a signed statement attesting they have taken a premarital preparation course from a qualified registered course provider. Note: NON-Florida residents do not have a waiting period. See list of registered course providers.

How long is the marriage license valid?

Florida marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the effective date. The marriage ceremony must be performed between the effective date and the expiration date on the license.

Must I apply for a marriage license in the county where I live?

No.  A marriage license may be applied for and solemnized in any Florida county.  

Who may perform marriage ceremonies?

All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel, elders in communion with a church, or other ordained clergy.

He/she is a minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.

All Florida judicial officers, including retired judicial officers.

Clerks of the Circuit Courts.

Public notaries of the State of Florida.

"Quakers" or "Friends," may perform marriages in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies.

May we get married by a captain aboard a ship?

Yes, if the captain is a notary and the ship is in Florida waters, which is within three geographic miles from the coastline at the time of the ceremony.

May a marriage be solemnized without a license?

No.  Florida Statute 741.08 states that the party solemnizing the marriage shall require a properly issued license before performing the ceremony, and within 10 days after the ceremony, he shall make a certificate thereof the license, and shall transmit the same to the office of the county judge or clerk of the circuit court from which it issued.

Can I be married in the Clerk's Office?

Yes. Deputy clerks are authorized and available during normal working hours, Monday through Friday, to perform ceremonies. No appointment is necessary. The fee for this service is $30.00.

How long does it take to get a copy of our marriage record and how much does it cost?

One certified copy of your marriage certificate will be mailed within 7 days after the officiator returns the license to Official Records to be recorded. There is no charge for one copy; however, additional certified copies are $3 each.

Can people obtain a license to marry partners of their own gender?

Yes.  Effective January 6, 2015, couples of the same gender can marry.

Can a person marry someone to whom they are related?

Florida law prohibits a person marrying anyone to whom they are related by lineal consanguinity. The nearest degree of relations who may legally marry in the state of Florida is first cousins.

Does one or both of the applicants have to be U.S. citizens?

No. There is no citizenship or resident requirement.

Do we need a license to renew our vows? How do we go about doing this?

No.  The Clerk’s Office does not conduct vow renewal.  Speak to your clergyman, chaplain, or other advisor.

Under what circumstances can a license be issued to persons 16 or 17 years of age?

  • Written consent of parents or legal guardian.
  • Parents are deceased.
  • Minor has been previously married.
  • The age requirement can be waived by a county judge for applicants who can prove they are parents or expectant parents.

Can an individual who is younger than 16 get a marriage license from the Clerk's Office with parental permission?

No. With or without parental permission, a marriage license to anyone under age 16 can only be issued by a county judge.

Where can I view historical marriage license records online?

  • Indexes and images for marriage license records from 1972 forward are here.
  • Other years are on microfilm and are available for viewing in Official Records.

Where can I view and obtain copies of marriage licenses?

Copies of marriage license records and indexes for Hillsborough County from 1846 forward are available for viewing and purchase at the Official Records Library, 419 Pierce Street, Room 140. There is no charge to view a document. 

If the copy will be used for legal purposes, a certified copy with a raised seal is required. The charge for a certified copy is $3 ($1 per page and $2 to certify the document). Make checks or money orders payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court.

  • Provide both spouses’ names at the time of application (include the maiden name if applicable) and the date of marriage.
  • Walk-in customers receive the document the same day
  • Mail requests are processed within 4-6 business days

Copies may be requested by telephone at (813) 276-8100, ext. 4367, with a credit card.   An additional 3.5% fee is charged by the credit card processing vendor.

Telephone orders are processed within 2-3 business days

What are the fees and fines associated with this service?

See Marriage License Fees for more information.